What an incredible year it has been for EEE! We are filled with so much gratitude, and excitement for all of the joys and gifts that lay ahead of us for 2013! Running a dance company has been a dream of mine since I was 5 years old and I would put on shows for my stuffed animals. I have to pinch myself every day that I get to do what I have always wanted, and with a team of dancers that are so dedicated, hard-working, talented and simply a joy to work with in EEE.
Here is a list of some of the events EEE is so grateful for:
- February 16th-19th, 2012: The chance to bring back one of EEE’s favorites “Reeling over Love,” now revamped to a full length production, with the additional, touching new compositions by and performed live by Brian Erickson
- The year of welcoming new EEE dancers and guest performers: Brian Evans, Jordan Klitzke, Joe Crook and Jarod Boltjes
- Honored to receive the MRAC Arts Learning grant for our 2012 EEE Outreach Season where we taught workshops at East Side Services, Luxton Community Center, Priarie School of Dance, 4th Street Dance Center in White Bear Lake, Saint Paul City Ballet, Tonka Dance Works, 3rd Annual EEE Jazz Intensive at Zenon and a 2 week Workshop and Main Street School of Performing Arts.
- March 13th, 2012: the incredible opportunity to perform new works with two of Saint Thomas’ choirs for their Sacred Arts Performance. How moving it was to watch the pieces as hundreds of beautiful voices filled the room.
- April 21st, 2012: A Very Grimm Promm; EEE’s Annual Fundraiser. Much success was brought with food, games, dancing, live music, photos and all of those fun costumes. Thank you to everyone who was able to come out and support EEE.
- Early summer Heidi Draskoci Johnson approached me stating that she would love to get involved with EEE and assist me on the admin end. She started out writing grants for us, and over a couple of months has now become our Managing Director. She has been such a pivotal new member to the EEE family, and I could not be more grateful to have her on board!
- June 17th-20th, 2012: Jazz Symposium at SMU in Dallas. Danny Buraczeski, one of my biggest mentors and who started my love of jazz dance, hosted a 3 day Jazz Symposium at SMU. A few members of EEE (Heather, Erinn, Megan and Jordan) were able to come with me to participate in the workshop. We had a blast dancing together! I was honored when Danny asked me if I would teach one of the jazz technique classes. That was a full circle, moving moment for me!
- July 19th-22nd, 2012: A Grimm Tale at the Ritz. EEE once again teamed up with Mad Munchkin Productions in creating an eerie, striking new piece that tied a bunch of Grimm Tales together. I was astonished at what we were able to create, and awe struck at the talents of MMP! My good friend, Kristin Grohs Blatzheim also created a breath taking new piece on EEE dancers.
- August 6th-12th, 2012: EEE’s 3rd Annual Jazz Intensive at Zenon. We had an incredible turnout of dancers for both our professional and dance educators track. It was a fantastic week of jazz dancing, and I am honored to produce this workshop with Karla Grotting every year! This has always been a staple I have wanted for EEE.
- October 2012: EEE’s 10th Anniversary Concert (July 18th-22nd, 2013) enters rehearsals. This production is all about honoring some of the incredible collaborations we have been fortunate to have with 4 amazing composers. We will be working again with Warren Park, Brian Erickson, Michael Rossetto and Richard Sloss. We will be bringing back older pieces and creating new ones.
- November 2012: an inspiring 2 week workshop working with the students of Main Street School of Performing Arts. EEE Teaching Artists Crystal, Mackenzie and Heather taught different jazz classes to their morning classes, and then we set “Big Noise” on their Intermediate and Advanced Dancers.
- Give to the Max. EEE set a goal of raising $3,000 ($1,000 more than last year), and we not only made it, we past it! Thank you to all of EEE’s supporters! We can not do it without you!
- Completely blown away and honored to receive 2 grants from MRAC! A Community Arts Grant to support or 10th Anniversary Show and a Development Grant to hire a financial consultant/director that will help us create our 3 and 5 year business plan and apply for our 501c3! This is a huge step for EEE, and we are ready!
- And lastly the 15 members of EEE that are all so busy with everything else going on in their lives, but still make EEE such a priority. Show up to every rehearsal with huge smiles on their faces, ready to work and sweat together. There is no one else I would prefer to be in the studio with, and can not tell you enough how much each and everyone of you means to me. Whether you have been with the company for 1-7 years, your loyalty, talent and incredible energy fills my heart!
So the list is long, but some things need to stated! Thank you 2012, and cheers to a fabulous 2013!
Artistic Director of Eclectic Edge Ensemble